I spent some 9+ years in the military right after high school. I went through some of toughest military training and learned a lot about not only defense strategies, coordinate calculation but also about leadership, other people and myself.
1. Never ask someone to do something that you’re not willing to do yourself.
2. As a leader, if something goes wrong, you must acknowledge your responsibility. Blaming someone else will not make it better, and you’ll look bad.
3. No excuses! If something goes wrong and you’re responsible, you accept it, learn from it and move on.
4. Never make anyone feel bad in front of his or her friends or colleagues. In fact, don’t make anyone feel bad. Life is tough as it is.
5. People always have a reason for behaving the way they do. Most often it’s because of fear or past experiences.
6. Always be prepared and in time. It’s the things that you don’t plan that are most likely to happen.
7. Accept the fact that you often only know half of what’s needed for the task at hand. Trust your peers to know the rest.
8. Trust people to deliver. As a leader, you can only offer advice, support, and direction. The rest is up to them.
9. When you think you’ve given all, there’s still some more in you.
10. There’s always another way to get the job done.
11. Keep the promises you make. You can build trust for ten years but lose it in a minute.
12. Things could be worse. Don’t make it worse by complaining.
13. Repetition makes master. You won’t see that until after you’ve mastered it.
14. Say no if you don’t get it. There’s no shame in asking for help.
15. Make sure that people understand why you’re doing what you’re doing and how they play a part in it. This is the fundamental part of teamwork.
16. Things worked best when you got the right person in the right place. Everybody is good at something and giving them a shot at proving it will make them great.
17. Don’t blindly accept that things are done in a certain way because that is the way they have always been done. Change is good, and there’s always a better way.
18. It’s just a series of small steps. You’ll make it there.
19. . Be Thankful!